Traveling with kids is a piece of cake… said NO ONE EVER!!!
Spring break is upon us and everyone is excited to break out of their routine and have some fun. However, traveling with kids isn’t always fun or easy. Being the parent who tries (and fails) to reason with their toddler on the plane, with all those eyes judging is not what anyone looks forward to. It’s easy to end up so frustrated by the end of the road trip that you don’t even care about screen time if it gives five more minutes of quiet. Luckily there are a few tips and tricks that can make travel much easier. Give one or all of these tips a go, and you might just keep your sanity during the next time you travel. The end result is for EVERYONE to enjoy the break and make some amazing memories, and maybe even get a tan instead of a headache.
Snacks are a HUGE must when traveling with kids, no matter what your means of transportation are. When picking out snack definitely pack some favorites, but also pack some new, fun snacks, that your kids don’t regularly have.
Here are some ideas:
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches: These can be pre-made and even cut into fun shapes using cookie cutters.
- Apple Slices: Cut these ahead of time and to keep them from turning brown brush them with a little lemon juice. It won’t affect the taste of the apple. You might even bring some dipping sauce such as peanut butter or if you are brave, caramel.
- Snack Mix Bags: Pretzels, crackers, Bugles, M&M’s and any other snacks your child loves.
- Pudding Cups: These are great, they don’t need to be refrigerated and are thick enough that they won’t slide off the spoon. Just don’t forget the spoons!!
- Snack Necklaces: Use yarn to create a necklace. You can string Fruit Loops, Cheerios, Pretzels, Life Saver Gummies, and any other treat you can sting. These are fun, new and take a while to eat. Plus you don’t have to worry about them spilling their snack in the car or on the plane.
- Gummy Snacks: These are easy, not messy and yummy!!
- Pop Corn: Pop it ahead of time and place it in a sandwich or snack bag. If they don’t finish the bag you can zip it up and save it for later. Or if you prefer you can buy the flavored individual bags at the store.
Have a backpack or bag for each child. Fill it with special travel activities that include some of their favorite things to do, but that are NEW to them. They will think of it as a gift and will be excited.
Here are some ideas:
- Water WOW: Just fill the brush with water and they can paint the pictures over and over and over again. Plus, the book has a special place to store the brush, so it won’t get lost.
- Color Wonder: Another great option for mess-free coloring. These markers won’t ruin clothing and the color pages are available in many characters and even blank pages.
- Books: Pack a few of their favorites in their bags. These can be read aloud or they can also enjoy looking at the pictures on their own. You can even pack a few in your suitcase and trade them out when you return.
- Magnetic tins or drawing boards: These can be a fun and simple way to entertain your toddlers. Just make sure its age appropriate it so you don’t have a choking hazard on your hands.
- Wikki Sticks or Pipe Cleaners: These will keep their hands busy and can be reused again and again.
- Music: Kids love to sing and dance. I know as a parent, you can only take those nursery songs for so long, but they just might save your sanity. Jewel has several kids’ songs that aren’t terrible to listen to and they add a different spin to the classic nursery rhymes.
- Tablet: Try to limit them to 30-minute intervals. I mean no one wants a screaming kid, but you also don’t want them in tech coma. Add a few new episodes of their favorite shows and a few new movies. Don’t forget headphones, especially if you are flying.
- Don’t forget to pack their favorite stuffed animal and a cuddly blanket. These will bring them comfort and maybe even entice them to take a NAP!
Most of these ideas work for driving or flying and are huge lifesavers. Here’s to keeping your sanity and enjoying your travels. Have fun traveling and don’t forget to snap a few shots of your time together! We would love to see!