It is said that most old wives’ tales are myths, but when it comes to “predicting” the gender of your little one, they are fun to try anyway. Here are a few of our favorites.
You are expecting a boy if…
- Your skin is glowing
- Baby’s heart rate is less than 140
- Dad gains weight with you
- You are craving salty foods
- You are craving meat
- You are carrying low
- The shape of your belly is like a basketball
- You gaining weight in thighs
- You become clumsy
- You don’t have morning sickness and are feeling good
- You have cold feet
- You can only think of boy names
- You have frequent headaches
- You have dry skin
- Your hair is growing and glowing
- Your fingernails and toenails grow fast
- Your age at conception added to the month of conception is an odd number
- Your baking soda test fizzes
You are expecting a girl if…
- You have acne and pimples all over
- Your baby’s heart rate is more than 140
- Dad stays fit
- You are craving ice cream, cookies, slushies, ice, or anything sweet
- You have an aversion to meat
- You are carrying high
- The shape of your belly is like a watermelon
- You only gaining weight in your belly
- You are graceful even when pregnant
- You are sick all day every day with morning sickness
- Your feet are not colder than usual
- You can only think of girl names
- You don’t have an unusual amount of headaches
- Your skin is oily
- Your hair is dull
- Your fingernails and toenails are not growing faster than normal
- Your age at conception added to the month of conception is an even number
- Your baking soda test doesn’t fizz
What is the baking soda test?? Well, it’s easy and tests the pH of your urine. All you need to do it put a little baking soda in a paper cup and pee into the cup. You don’t need too much. If it starts to fizz you are expecting a boy if there is no fizz you are expecting a girl.
Right or wrong these little tests are sure fun. We hope you enjoy them!
Love is in the air… what better to do, then a CRAFT! Valentine’s Day is such a fun time for arts and crafts with the little ones. A homemade Valentine is always a crowd pleaser and a wonderful keepsake! Here are 5 fun Valentine crafts to get you started.
- A shoebox or large tupperware with a lid
- White paper
- Various paints (whatever colors you choose)
- Marbles, bouncy balls or any small round object
- Cut out heart shapes or any shape you would like.
- Place a few drops of paint in your shoe box or container, along with your marbles.
- Put on the lid and let your little one shake, roll, and twist the box to decorate the hearts.
- Let your creation dry.
Toddler Scribble Heart
- White paper
- Painters Tape
- Markers (you can also do this with paint if you prefer)
- Use the painter’s tape to create a heart or any shape you prefer on the white paper.
- Let your little one color to their heart’s content.
- Remove the painter’s tape and enjoy their masterpiece.
Paper Roll Heart Stamp
- Empty Paper towel or toilet paper roll
- White paper
- Various paint colors
- Paper plate
- Form the cardboard roll into a heart shape. This can be done by creasing the roll in two places and manipulating it into a heart shape.
- Pour paint onto the paper plate.
- Dip the heart stamp and stamp away.
- Let your stamping dry and add a special message if you would like.
Tear Art Card
- Various colored paper (even the comics section of the news paper)
- White paper
- Glue stick or white glue
- Cut white paper to the size you want your card to be.
- Draw a heart or any shape for your child to fill in.
- Tear or cut up your colored paper. (The little ones LOVE to help with this)
- Glue the torn paper pieces onto the card.
- Finish by writing a special message.
Celery Stamp Rose Bouquet
- Cut celery stem (use your knife to cut the celery stocks off of the bundle)
- White paper
- Various paint colors
- Paper plate
- Put some paint on the paper plate.
- Put the celery stem into the paint and then onto your paper.
- Add stems or leaves if you would like.
- Let it dry and admire your beautiful roses. (You can even give a quick spray of perfume to add a special sent)
I hope one or more of these fun and simple Valentine crafts inspired you. Moms, Dads and Grandparents won’t be disappointed! Homemade crafts are always a special way to show someone they are loved. Have a crafty Valentine’s Day.
It’s no secret that the best part of any birthday is the cake. Seeing your sweet little one covered head to toe in yummy cake also makes for some super cute photos.
A smash cake is an adorable way to help your little one celebrate their first year. Even better, you can have it documented through a CAKE SMASH Photo Session. When your little one turns ONE, what better way to commemorate the milestone, than by letting them make a complete mess and having some seriously adorable pictures taken!?
Smash cakes are not only a great way to see your little one have an amazing first birthday but they will also grow through sensory play. Sensory play is learning through the senses and is essential for early fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. It also gives your little one free reign to explore different textures during unstructured play.
To begin your session we will start out with some regular photos in their special outfit or even their birthday suit before the real fun begins. After the regular photos are complete, it will be time to get the party started.
Who is ready for CAKE!?
Selecting the right cake can make all the difference during your cake smash session. Here are a couple tips about what type of cake works best.
- Buttercream or whipped cream frosting
The soft frosting is easier for little hands to squeeze, mash, and obviously EAT!
Using bright colors, sprinkles, or a favorite character can capture your little ones attention and draw them closer to investigate.
Bringing your little ones favorite snack along can be a lifesaver. If they just aren’t interested in the cake at first, hiding their go-to snack behind the cake can often encourage them to check it out. Once they get close to the colorful cake its hard to resist getting a little messy.
Now that your little one is covered head to toe with cake and frosting their one big mess. What now? Let the fun continue with a BUBBLE BATH! Don’t worry, we will take some additional pictures of the cleanup, so you will have even more pictures to ooh and aah over as you look back on your babies first year.
Capturing this moment will be something you will cherish for years to come. CAKE SMASH Photo Sessions have become one of my favorite projects. Being a part of your little one’s special day is such an honor.
Any parent will tell you that their little ones grow up way too fast. Every single photo taken offers a chance to freeze time in order to hold on to a special memory. Often these snapshots are taken with your camera phone and are great for everyday moments, but for those extra special milestones, you need a bit more. You want to be included in the pictures, not stuck taking them. This is where a professional can come in handy, and leave you with beautifully captured moments, in which you are a part of.
How many photos do you have of your entire family? If you’re anything like most families, then maybe a handful.
First things first, what is a professional photographer? Professional photographers not only capture your photos, but they also edit and retouch images in order to achieve a beautiful finished product. They know which angles are best, what certain lighting will do to an image, and how the final image will look once it is edited. They capture precious moments that can be cherished for years to come.
Finding the right photographer can be tricky. Here are some things to consider when looking for the right photographer. Take the time to look through their galleries, you can really learn a lot.
- Do they share a similar style that fits your vision?
- Do you like their editing style?
- The photographer’s availability, does it match your timeline?
- The photographer’s turnaround time.
- Does their pricing fit your budget?
- Has your photographer had their flu shot? (It may seem a little odd to ask, but they will be in close contact with your baby.)
- Has your photographer had any newborn safety training? (Again, safety should be the most important thing when it comes to handling a new baby, so make sure they have the experience/knowledge that makes you comfortable turning your little one over to them.)
Pricing is often a huge reason we tend to skip the professional photographer but here are some things you should take into consideration when thinking about cost.
Every day our families grow older, take time to cherish them now. With a professional photographer, you are not only capturing these moments but you’re also getting the professional quality you and yours deserve.
Your photo’s last a lifetime…
It’s just crazy how many things a little person needs every time you leave the house, am I right? Yes, I’m talking about that adorable little baby which has literally taken over your house and your heart. But seriously, did you ever think that a diaper bag would need to be filled with so many things?
I put together a list of 8 things to always keep in your diaper bag at all times. Oh, and just a little friendly advice, don’t leave something out just because you have never used it, because that’s exactly when you will need it!
8 Diaper Bag Essentials
- Diapers & Wipes – This is a two for one, just so we don’t take up space for other important things on this list.
- Changing Pad – Most diaper bags come with their own changing pad, but double check to make sure or replace it with a different one you prefer. You will find out quickly that babies don’t care where they are when they need to be changed, and some places are just plain gross.
- Sanitizing Wipes & Hand Sanitizer – Here’s another two for one! The wipes come in use EVERYWHERE, you can just grab them and wipe down the world around your little one. The hand sanitizer is also great to have to use before you or anyone touches your baby.
- Little Trash Bags – It’s crazy how there is not always a trash can around when you need one. Yes, sometimes you will need to put trash back in your bag until you can find a trash.
- Small Bag with Small Items – This bag will consist of all the little things you need that without being in a smaller bag would float around your diaper bag and probably get lost. It will include diaper cream, baby Motrin, a nose sucker and baby sunscreen. You can add any other little must-haves you love.
- Extra Clothes – There is nothing worse than a mishap that wrecks your baby’s outfit and you are left with nothing to change them into. Always have a change of clothes in your diaper bag! Oh, and remember those little trash bags I mentioned in number 5, these come in handy to put gross clothes in.
- Bibs – These are great to wipe off drool, if your baby spits up, or if you need to feed them. You can basically use them anytime you need a rag.
- Pacifiers (or whatever calms your baby) – Not all babies use pacifiers, but if yours does then make sure to have a backup or two. If your baby is not a fan of pacifiers, then make sure to have extras of whatever your baby loves most.
Becoming a parent is simultaneously the most rewarding and frightening thing to happen all at once. During this season of life, it can seem as though your life that you once knew is over and you are now a completely new person. But wait, that’s just it, this is a season, and just the same as all seasons before, it too shall pass. During the long sleepless nights, and the even longer days to come remember your newest family addition will only be little for a short time. Also, try not to get wrapped up in the myths that come along with a newborn, it will help you to enjoy this time as opposed to just surviving it.
You will Have an Instant Connection with Your New Baby
Please do not get down on yourself if you don’t feel an instant connection with your baby. Although many new parents express how the moment they saw their baby they were instantly in love and it was a forever fairy tale. This is not always the case. There is an overwhelming amount of emotion that comes during pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Sometimes it takes a little time to get to know each other, but one thing is for sure, that bond will come and you will know exactly when it happens.
You will Always Know what to Do
Yea right, this is far from the truth. I’m sure you have heard it said before “when you are a parent you will just know.” Yes, there are a lot of things that you will just know, like when your kiddo is sick or what their favorite food is. We’re talking about everything else. Parenting does not come with a handbook and there are a million plus things that you will have to learn or just figure out. Don’t worry though, you’ve got this!
You will Never Sleep Again
Okay, before you freak out, remember at the very being where we mentioned that having a baby is a season of your life. This is where you are going to want to take a breath and say that over and over for the next 4 years. Just kidding, but seriously you will sleep again. Honestly, you will sleep during the early years, you will just have a new sleep pattern and wake up during the night, but you will sleep.
You will Never Have Alone Time with Your Spouse Again
Thank goodness this is a myth, how do you think kids get siblings anyway, wink, wink. In all seriousness, though you will not be able to head out last minute to dinner alone three times a week, however with plenty of planning you will still have alone time.
Life is Over as You Know It
We’re talking about the idea of everything you knew pre-baby, doing your hair & makeup, taking a shower, eating, alone time, and anything else you once did or loved. Now while all of these things may not be done all the time like before, they are not over forever. In fact, it is extremely important to make time for the things you need in life to refuel yourself so you can have energy and sanity to take care of your baby.
How exciting… you’re pregnant! This is such a wonderful time, finding out, beginning to grow a baby bump, learning if it’s a boy or girl, feeling the first little flutter, and the list goes on. You may know what you’re going to name your little bundle of joy before you are even expecting, but sometimes it’s quite the opposite. For anyone who needs a little inspiration in the name department, here’s a list of adorable names for boys and girls.
No matter what name you pick for your son or daughter is perfect! We hope our list sparked an idea and helped you get one step closer to picking!
Reasons to Gift a Gift Certificate
Here at Edwards Photography Studios, we specialize in maternity, newborn, the first year, and first birthday + smash cake sessions! Time flies while little ones are young. We love to capture these moments and preserve them forever!
Do you know someone who is expecting or has a little one? Check out this list of reasons to give the gift of memories!
- Gender Reveal – It’s not always expected to bring a gift to a gender reveal, but just think how perfect it would be to surprise an expecting couple with a gift certificate for maternity photos!
- Baby Shower – Expecting parents are great at making sure to add all the important things to gift registries. Surprise them with something extra special that maybe they didn’t think of. With a gift certificate for a photo session, they can celebrate with a maternity or newborn session!
- Group Gift – Are you going in with a few people on one spectacular gift for a new momma? Keep in mind that photos last forever, a gift certificate for a photo session is a great gift from a group of friends.
- Christmas Gift – Surprise someone you love with an amazing Christmas Gift… the gift of MEMORIES!
- First Birthday Gift – Little ones grow up so fast, the first year goes by in just a blink! A gift certificate for a first birthday + smash cake session is sure to be a hit.
- Overcoming Infertility – Do you have a loved one who has been struggling with infertility and recently found out they are expecting. Celebrate with a gift certificate towards a session so they can capture every moment to come!
You just can’t go wrong with gifting a gift certificate for a photo session. It will be cherished for years to come. If you are local to the Nashville, TN area we would love to connect. You can find out more about our gift certificates and photo sessions by emailing email@example.com.
Christmas is such a wonderful time of the year. It’s extra important that you instill the values you would like for your children from a young age. Yes, it’s wonderful to get gifts, but teaching them about giving right from the start will stick with them as they grow. A simple way to do this is by having them make something special for their grandparents. Feel free to still gift other things as well, these handmade gifts can be an extra little something just from your kiddos to their grandparents. Need a little help coming up with what to make? We put together a little list of adorable yet simple crafts they can make.
Paint something: Okay this sounds vague, I know. I am referring to taking your kiddo to one of those neat little places that seem to be popping up all over. You go in and pick your piece, they have everything from mugs and plates to little statues. Then your kiddo can paint it however they desire. Once it’s all painted the place fires it and it turns into a one of a kind piece! Oh, and
guess what is extra amazing about this option… It’s all done somewhere besides your house, so no cleanup!!
Blank Canvas: This is so fun and turns out really cute! Go to a craft store and get some blank canvas and paints. They can choose to do it fingerpaint style or use a brush.
Ornaments: There are endless options with making ornaments for grandparents. Pinterest is a huge help with this one. Just simply type “DIY children’s ornaments” in the search engine and scroll through the endless possibilities that pop up! Want to take an even easier route? Any craft store around has prepackaged ornament makings kits that include everything you need!
Picture Frames: You can use any kind of frame for this. Just remove the glass, let your kiddos go to town painting the frame, then put the glass and a photo of them in it and… done!
All grandparents are sure to cherish a specially made with love gift from their grandkids. Each of these projects are pretty simple and kids of all ages can do them with a little guidance. Also, if you are looking for some fun Christmas crafts to do as well this season check out our “5 Kid Friendly Christmas Crafts” blog.
Christmas season is in full swing! We put together a list of 10 kid friendly Christmas activities to make it extra magical. They can all easily be done with just your kiddos or make a little party out of it and invite some of their friends!
5 Kid Friendly Christmas Crafts
#1: Reindeer Food– Santa’s reindeer get very hungry during their travels on Christmas Eve. Let your kids make reindeer food for them, and an extra bag they can enjoy themselves. All you need is a variety of about 7-10 snacks. Pour them into separate bowls, set them on the table, give each kid a few baggies, and let them fill them up with a variety of treats. Tip: Go ahead and premake some labels that say reindeer food on them and place them on the bags!
Photo credit: Lady Behind the Curtain
#2: Pinecone Trees – If you live where pinecones are on the ground, go ahead and gather some, if not then you can go to any crafting store and buy a bag of them. You will also need little pots the pine cone fits in, paint, stickers, glue, glitter, pompoms, and anything else you would like to use to decorate with. Let the kids decorate the pot, then you will need to hot glue the pinecone into the pot, then let the kids decorate the tree (pinecone).
Photo credit: Easy Peasy and Fun
#3: Christmas Sugar Cookies – This one can easily be done in two ways. You can include the kids in the whole experience, making the dough, using cookie cutters to shape it, then decorate them. Or feel free to knock out the first half and bake the cookies on your own, then put all the frosting, sprinkles, and goodies on the table and simply let them do the decorating!
Photo credit: Glorious Treats
#4: Christmas Wreaths– Here’s an adorable yet simple one that even toddlers can do. Take a paper plate and cut the center out, you are going to use the outside ring. Tip: cut the plates prior to the activity. For the actual activity, you will need the wreaths (the outside rings you made), glue, glitter, pompoms, stickers, green paint or colors, and string. Let the kids paint or color the wreaths green, then decorate them. When they are all done, you will tie some string to the top so it can be hung!
Photo credit: Southern Living
#5: Christmas Cards–This activity is perfect to send to grandparents! You will need red and green construction paper, colors, glitter, glue, stickers, and anything else you would like to decorate with! Then you can help your kiddo trace their hand and name into the card. After that let them decorate it! Tip: you can use their hand as a Christmas tree! Once it’s decorated send it off to the grandparents (or anyone else that would love a card from your little one).
Photo credit: Salvage Sister and Mister
We hope you have a blast creating one or all of these wonderful Christmas activities with your kids!
When to Schedule: Go ahead and schedule your newborn session while you’re still pregnant. This will ensure you a spot on my calendar! We recommend making the appointment during your second trimester. Tip: Make sure we make it on your “baby is here” contact list so we can secure a date within 14 days after your little one is here.
Baby is Here: Contact us RIGHT away when your baby is here! Newborn sessions are best done within the first 14 days after birth. Tip: To get the most out of your session it’s best to make it happen within the first 14 days. They are still nice and sleepy and love to be balled up during this time.
Welcome to the Studio: We do most newborn sessions right in our studio! (We also offer home sessions or a mixture of both!) It is fully stocked with newborn photo cuteness from little props, wraps, and more! Tip: Keep in mind we stick to a neutral/natural color palette so that your baby’s natural beauty is the main focus!
What to expect: When you come into the studio it will be nice and toasty to keep your little one warm and sleepy. They are used to being warm and bundled so we want to keep them happy. Especially because we will be taking all their warm clothes off because well… we can’t resist those adorable naked baby shots!
Preparing for Your Session
• Be sure to dress them in loose-fitting clothing. Something that zips or buttons is best to avoid undressing over their head. This will be less disruptive to your baby’s sleep.
• Do what you can before your session to make sure your little one is super sleepy before their session. I usually suggest a nice little bath, and then a feeding right before you head out to the studio. Newborn sessions work best when they are in a deep sleep!
• Milk drunk little ones are much easier to photograph than when they are hungry. Don’t worry you can always feed again during your session!
During Your Session
• Just relax! We specialize in newborn photography and know how precious these little ones are. We promise to handle your babies with the utmost care as if they were our own.
• Prepare to be patient! Your baby is going to fuss and need things during the session and that is okay. We take our time and don’t rush.
We hope this was helpful for you in preparing for your newborn session. However, if you have more questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out more about our studio and style here! We can’t wait to capture your little one’s special moments!
It’s that time of year, can you believe it? November is almost over and that means many houses with little ones will be having a special visitor show up very soon. That’s right, Elf on The Shelf! This little guy sure has made a BIG name for himself over the past few years.
He really is a great tradition to welcome, he brings fun and excitement, along with the occasional mischief to the Christmas season. Each and every night he travels back to the North Pole to report to Santa about how each kid in the house has behaved during the day. Then when he returns back to the house he sets himself up in a fun, creative, sometimes silly way.
Okay, okay, the secret is out (for adults)! The Elf needs a little help from you (Mom or Dad) to get back from the North Pole and into position! This can become a daunting task considering the Elf comes to town on December 1st(for some houses even sooner) and stays until Christmas! That is a lot of nights that he needs to be placed just right to bring excitement in the morning when the kids are looking to see what he’s doing… and heaven forbid your Elf is ever doing the same thing twice!! No worries we have you covered this year with a helpful little sheet of ideas.
The BIG O-N-E!! How on earth did the whole first year of your little one’s life fly by that quick? Am I right?! It feels like one minute you’re hearing that very first cry, then you blink and BAM it’s time for their first birthday! We put together all the top reasons why you are going to want to make sure you get professional first birthday photos!
Everlasting Memories!! First birthdays are kind of a big deal. Get your little cutie all dressed up and have those memories captured. You will have these moments captured to look at for years to come.
Smash Cake!! Would you like a huge smile for your little one’s first birthday photo? A smash cake session is a sure way to get all the smiles! During the session, they will get to enjoy their birthday cake all to themselves. We can guarantee there will be frosting on their faces along with a big smile! And don’t worry about the mess, after they are done enjoying their cake we will get them into a bubble bath for clean-up and some more great photos.
Leave it to the Professional!! As a professional photographer, I have done countless first birthdays. I know all the tricks in the book to get your little one to be their cute selves while I click and catch all the moments!
Great Gifts!! Photos make the perfect gift for grandparents or anyone else you know that would just adore a photo of your little one!
Perfect for Invitations!! Are you planning a first birthday celebration for your little one? Their first birthday photos will make the cutest invitations! Already have the invitations covered? Use their photos for unforgettable thank you cards!
Your little one will only have one first birthday. Don’t miss your chance to have a session all about them and their big day! You will love looking at these photos forever!
So, you had professional maternity and newborn photos taken, why stop there! Kids change so
quickly the first year, one moment they cannot hold their own head up and the next they are
crawling around the house and you are just trying to keep up. Their first year is a great time to
have professional photos taken, here are a few great reasons why!
Preserve the Memories!! As a parent, you will learn quickly that time passes way to fast when
your little ones are growing. It’s like they are a newer and bigger person each day. Make sure to
get professional photos while they are little, so you can always have them to look at especially
when they are all grown up.
They Make Amazing Gifts!! It’s always fun and easy to share photos on social media of your
kiddos growing up, just imagine what an awesome gift a framed photo of them for grandparent
Document their Personality!! During their photo session let them be their selves. Trust me, you
will love seeing their personality captured!
Kids Do Better for Others!! Let’s just face it, sometimes our kiddos just cooperate better for
others. By leaving the photo taking to a photographer you don’t have to beg and plead with
your kiddo to look at the camera and try to catch the shot too.
There is no better time than now to schedule a photos session for your little one! You will love
looking at them for all the years to come!
Overwhelming Joy. Happiness. Love. These are some of the greatest feelings that come flooding
over us the moment our little one enters the world. It’s as if you could sit in the same spot
forever just looking down at their tiny nose and their squishy cheeks. Trust us, you do not want
to miss out on capturing these moments because in just one blink that little bundle of baby is
running around and growing up. We have put together a list of top reasons to assure you that
newborn sessions are a MUST!
Everlasting Memories!! Newborns are only little for such a short time. Once these moments
are gone you will not have them back. Photos trigger memories and it will never get old when
you look at them and vividly remember the emotions and feelings you had while they were so
new! Your kiddos will also love looking at them when they get older!
A Great Bonding Moment for the whole family!! Whether this is your first or fourth baby, the
whole family can be involved. It’s a great time for everyone to be together and celebrate the
You Can Be Creative!! Do you have a favorite character that you just love, or maybe one of you
is a fireman or teacher? These are all fun and creative ideas that you can incorporate into a
newborn session. There are super cute newborn outfits that you can find all over the internet
to represent what’s special to your family.
Perfect for Announcements!! Would you like to announce your newest addition to family and
friends? Having professional photos taken makes this easy! Just simply send a photo to
No matter the reason, don’t let this moment pass you by. You will love looking at the photos for
years to come.
Whoot, whoot, you’re pregnant! Congratulations! There are so many amazing moments of being pregnant, like the moment you find out, the first little flutters you feel, when you get that baby bump and so many more. We put together a few reasons why you will want to schedule a maternity photo session, you won’t regret it!
Embrace Your Beauty!! Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, and oh my goodness, you are beautiful! Now ignore that little voice that may be reminding you your body has changed a bit, because girl, it has. It is literally growing a human, your little human, and you’re glowing! So, schedule that maternity shoot and capture your baby bump beauty!
Photo Credit: Edwards Photography Studios
Everlasting Memories!! You are only pregnant for around 9 months and once your baby is born, your chance is gone. Yes, you may have another baby in the future, but every pregnancy is special and holds different memories. Photos trigger memories and it will never get old when you look at them and vividly remember the emotions and feelings you had during pregnancy! Your kiddos will also love looking at them when they get older!
A Great Bonding Moment with Your Partner!! Talk about a moment to connect. It doesn’t matter if this is your first baby or fourth baby, life is busy. Take the time to do a maternity photo session to bond with your partner and simply be in the moment. This is also a warm and fuzzy moment for the dad-to-be, considering you get all the moments that come with being pregnant like feeling the baby move for the first time.
It’s Fun for Siblings Too!! If you have other kiddos this is a great way to include them in the pregnancy hype! Plus, maternity photos of an older sibling kissing mommas baby belly is priceless.
Photo Credit: Edwards Photography Studios
No matter the reason, don’t let this moment pass you by. You will love looking at the photos for years to come.
Excitement. Joy. Happiness. These are some of the wonderful feelings that come over you when you see those two pink lines! There is so much that comes with finding out you will soon be holding a little bundle of cuteness in your arms! One of those things is deciding how you’re going to announce your news to family and friends! We put together some sentimental, some funny, and some creative ways to announce your pregnant!
Our personal announcement of our twins was a video, you can watch it here! Oh, the excitement was unreal… but I remembered how painful seeing pregnancy announcements could be, so I wanted people to know our struggle, and give hope to those still suffering.
You can always go with the holiday that is closest when you are announcing.
Photo Credit: Pinterest
Wanna go with a trendy announcement? Netflix is totally a hot thing right now. This announcement also has a little bit of humor!
Photo Credit: Pinterest
Of course, there is always the good old parent panic announcement! This is always a good creative one full of humor or should we call it a reality check… just kidding!
Photo Credit: Pinterest
Cuteness overload! Are you looking for the sweetest announcement ever? This one is full of all the feels.
Photo Credit: Pinterest
We didn’t forget about those families that already have fur babies or human kiddos! Let them do the announcing!
Photo Credit: Pinterest
Photo Credit: Pinterest
There is absolutely no right or wrong way to announce the wonderful news that you are expecting! So, go on and get as creative or sentimental as you’d like!
It’s that time of year again… time to book Santa mini sessions. Are you tired of the same old red Santa suits, and super long lines? So. Are. We. A couple of years ago Edwards Photography Studios and Ashlee V Photography put a twist on Santa and mini sessions. Together we designed a different kind of Santa Experience! View Post »
As a new mom, one of the quickest lessons you will learn is, mom guilt is real! Unfortunately, there is just no way around it. People and moms alike all have their own personal opinions and ways of doing things. One of your first big encounters with mom guilt will most likely be choosing which method you will use to feed your baby; will it be breast or bottle? Although the ultimate outcome is a fed baby, it’s truly your decision on which option is best for you and your baby.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that a mother should exclusively breastfeed up to six months. At six months once a baby has been introduced to other foods it’s still recommended to breastfeed up to 1-2 years. Breastfeeding is recommended because it is the most natural balance of nutrition your child can get.
If formula feeding is in your cards that is okay too. Do your research so you can make the best-informed decision on which formula to feed your baby. There are many circumstances where a mother needs to or chooses to formula feed and that is absolutely okay.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding encourages a natural bond between mother and baby.
- Breast milk naturally provides your baby with all of the nutrients he/she will need to grow and develop.
- Breast milk contains antibodies that help to build up your baby’s immune system.
- Some common allergies can be prevented by breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding can minimize the chances of obesity and diabetes.
- As a mom, you may find it easier to lose the pregnancy weight.
- As a mom breastfeeding can lower your risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancers, diabetes, and other diseases.
- Breastfeeding allows you to feed your baby almost anywhere and at anytime.
- Breastfeeding is free.
Struggles that Might Come with Breastfeeding
- Your nipples can become very sore and tender, some may even crack and bleed.
- Your breasts may become engorged causing you to become very uncomfortable.
- You may get plugged milk ducts which can become painful.
- In some cases, you may not produce enough milk for your baby’s needs.
- You cannot leave your baby for long periods of time because you will need to feed them. (Pumping is an option for this.)
Benefits of Bottle Feeding
- Some moms are unable to breastfeed, and bottle feeding provides your baby with all the necessary nutrients needed.
- Anyone can feed your baby anywhere at any time.
- People can help at any time because they will have the capability of feeding your baby.
- Babies digest formula slower so they will have fewer feedings.
- Since formula digests differently it is easier to get on a feeding schedule.
Struggles with bottle feeding
- Formula is expensive.
- All items for formula feeding are expensive bottles, nipples, etc.
- You have to constantly wash and sterilize bottles.
- Formula can easily be heated too hot
- Your baby may not tolerate formula well.
If you are finding breastfeeding difficult don’t get discouraged, you don’t have to fully give it up if you are struggling. Supplementing is another option for feeding your baby. You can do this a couple different ways. You can offer your baby the breast and then offer them a bottle. You can also pump and combine your breast milk and formula.
While the experts suggest it is best to do everything you can to overcome any breastfeeding struggles and stick with it, for some people this is just not an option. Yes, there are plenty of benefits from breastfeeding, however, there are also great benefits to bottle feeding as well. The most important thing is that both mom and baby are happy, healthy, and fed! As long as you are making the best decision for both you and your baby, you are making the BEST decision. Ultimately what makes you a good mom is giving your baby the love, attention, affection, and care they need.
Breastfeeding vs Bottle feeding
Photo credit: Twine & Twig Studios
If you are pregnant or have had a baby, more than likely you have discussed pain relief options and maybe even used one. Generally, your OB will make sure to discuss different pain relief options with you well before you go into labor because there are many different types and once you’re in labor decision making can be very difficult. Epidurals are the most common form of pain relief used for childbirth, however, there are different types of epidurals so being educated beforehand is wise. View Post »